- My parents came to visit over the holidays. I get to see my parents twice a year if I’m lucky,
and this time they were only here for a little over a week. In the almost 10 years since I left home, I’ve come to realise that leaving your loved ones and getting on a plane sucks, but it’s infinitely worse to see them off. Still, I feel pretty lucky that I get to see them at all, and was so happy to have them here. I know that’s not always an option for a lot of people.
- I get to go the the January 22nd game against Anaheim and see Saku come back home for the first time since he was allowed to walk. The one game I wanted to go to all year. Ecstatic doesn’t even begin to cover it. Mad lovez and a shoutout to my friend L who made it happen.
- While I am at that game, if I hear a single person cheer louder for Maxim Lapierre than they do for Saku, I will punch them.
- Then shank them.
- Speaking of MaxLap, I’m so glad that he is gone. So, so glad. While I’ve always been happy to admit that he was a diving, turtling, dirty bucket of douche, it was… embarrassing. I mean, Maurice Richard and Jean Beliveau wore that sweater.
- Yes, there were times he was a huge help to the team.
- A few times.
- A few.
- Those of you who live in this province, watch/listen to local coverage of the team or have been to the Bell Centre since Lapierre made the NHL will know what a huge statement trading him was.
- As for Wisniewski… been trying to find a reason not to love this trade, and I can’t. A friend of mine sent me a message when news of the trade broke, saying “my friend said we just got some guy who sucks, what’s he talking about?” As I told her, her friend is stupid. Wisniewski is not a Number 1 D by any stretch of the imagination, but he’s a perfectly able 4-6 D who was overused in Long Island because of the Streit injury but will hopefully be managed better here. It’s not like the Habs’ power play was blinding us with its brilliance or with any hope of brilliance. It’s not like the Habs D was effectively handling all the minutes they were getting, either. I mean.
- Wiz’s season +/- when he got traded was -18, and some people chose to focus on that, apparently completely forgetting that +/- is one of the worst indicators of… anything, especially when presented without context. I found that incredibly aggravating.
- I’ve been in a bit of an “is this thing on?” funk lately.
- Is it?
- My sister bought me Sports Illustrated The Hockey Book for Christmas. If you don’t have it, GET THIS THING. Looking through it makes me so happy.
- My parents got me this crazy gym membership for Christmas. You know, the kind you kind of want, but decide you can’t really afford? Comes with personal coaching with everything from strength training to nutrition. I’ve been pretty open about my struggles with this stuff lately, so you’ll know how over-the-moon I am about this. “Just a little extra help” my mom said. Just a lot of extra help, I think. Wish me luck, I’m going to be miserable for about the next six months to a year, but hopefully this will end with me in my old clothes and not in the hospital.