The closest thing to a ‘before’ picture that there will probably ever be
A while ago I decided to own what I looked like, unhappy as I was with it, and change all my avatars to a picture of me. I ran into a bit of a problem, though – I couldn’t find a single picture of myself at my current weight, anywhere. I’ve always hated having my picture taken, and I guess I’ve managed to dodge a lot of photo ops lately. I really didn’t want to post a picture of myself that didn’t look like current me, though, so I used one of pretty much just my face.
In any case, today is Day 1 of Week 3 of Doing Something About It and this is the closest thing to a ‘before’ picture there will probably ever be. It’s brought to you by the genius of one metricjulie, who thought it would be fun to torture our Bruins fan friend, Sarah Connors, by taking pictures of ourselves in Habs barberpole jerseys… just like the jersey Sarah has on in her current Twitter avatar, as a result of losing a Habs-Bruins bet (yet again) with Julie.
Anyway, here it is. I’ve got my best hangover face on.
I don’t know if anyone will be able to get pictures of me as this goes on but if they do, I’ll post them here to show my progress.
I know this is my hockey-related ridiculosity blog, but it’s also just my blog, and many of you are going through this stuff right now, too. So here are a few things I learned in the first couple of weeks.
- This sucks. It’s hard, and it takes a while to get used to eating well and working out, and it’s hard, and I keep eating or drinking too much, and it’s hard and also it’s hard.
- You don’t need a gym membership to work out.
- This is something I really need to work on, a lot, but GET ENOUGH SLEEP.
- Turkey bacon tastes more like a heated cold cut than bacon.
- Everything has too much sodium in it.
- You can listen to Francois Gagnon and watch commercials for 17 minutes or you can do a little strength training for 17 minutes.
- Bubble baths are incredibly underrated. And scrubbing the tub all the time must help tone your arms, right?
- I have finally discovered how to cook tofu so you can eat it without immediately needing to spit it out. Send me some Habs tickets and I’ll tell you my secret.
- Oh lord, this sucks and it’s hard.
- All it takes is four days of running in the mornings to become disgusted at the mere thought of McDonald’s breakfast.
- You know what’s good? Baked Mahi Mahi.
- Tell your friends what you’re doing. They’ll support you.
- Tell the internet what you’re doing. You will get helpful and/or encouraging emails.
- You will cheat. It will happen. Just let it happen. One day, not all the days.
- Being drunk and sad can sometimes happen. Don’t eat yourself into a coma the next day, because working out will help you feel better more than food ever will.
- Always, always wake up to a clean kitchen. This should go without saying.